Who are we?
Pepnet 2 (pn2) is a federally funded project whose mission is to increase the education, career, and lifetime choices available to individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Pepnet 2 recognizes the full range of postsecondary education, training and employment options available for individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing and strives to enhance the capacity of those institutions to appropriately serve this diverse population. Pn2 is a national collaboration of professionals with expertise in a broad array of content areas and a variety of environments, including research, technology, personnel development, media production, and technical assistance.
Our resources include:
- Live, one-on-one assistance in a variety of communication modes,
- In-person and online training,
- Materials that are downloadable, printable or available as hardcopies
How do we accomplish our mission?
Pepnet 2 supports stakeholders through providing technical assistance, personnel development, and research and evidence synthesis.
- Providing evidence based solutions to questions, concerns, and needs at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Identifying and tracking trends, practices and issues regarding D/HH students and services
- Working with stakeholders (individuals, agencies, campuses) in their preferred communication mode: Email, VP, phone, video conferencing or live chat
- Managing a national online listserv forum, monitoring and participating on other listservs
- Training materials including QuickClasses, presentations, online training modules, summits, and conferences
- Guidance in establishing and maintaining Communities of Practice
- Assistance in building the capacity for individuals, agencies, and institutions to provide quality programs and services
Research and Evidence Synthesis
- Conducting the national Needs Assessment
- Identifying ways that pn2 can meet the varied needs our diverse stakeholders
- Summarizing the research literature
- Conducting targeted studies
- Providing summaries of findings on factors that affect postsecondary outcomes for individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Our job is to get you the resources you need to support individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing, including those with co-occurring disabilities. If you have questions we have answers.
What does pepnet 2 mean?
In 1996 the Department of Education funded four regional centers collectively known as Postsecondary Educational Programs Network (PEPNet). The name pepnet 2 stems from this original acronym. The number 2 was added to indicate a new version of the project when the structure changed from four regional centers to one national center in 2011. Since PEPNet has a rich history and reputation from its three previous grant cycles, we wanted to continue the name, while at the same time reflecting the new model of a national center. As the mission of pepnet 2 broadened to include all postsecondary options for deaf and hard of hearing individuals, we changed the name to lower case to diminish the association with the name as an acronym.
So if you see pepnet 2's name written and spelled as PEPNet, those materials were most likely developed and produced during cycles from 1996-2011. If you see pepnet 2, you know the information, material or product comes from the current 2011-2016 cycle.
Pepnet 2 is funded by the Research to Practice Division, Office of Special Education Programs, US Department of Education via Coorperative Agreement #H326D110003. Funding is provided from October 1, 2011 to September 30, 2016.